Sunday 5 August 2012

Never give up, never give in, and when the upper hand is ours, may we have the ability to handle the win with the dignity that we absorbed the loss - Doug Williams

I woke up this afternoon, after falling asleep with a book on my chest -  yes, I'm ageing before my time - to find that Andy Murray had won a gold medal at the Olympics. Beating Roger Federer no less.  In three stunning sets.

Then, through the post-nap haze, I watched him win a silver medal in the mixed doubles.  Amazing.  Go AM!  Go London 2012!

If I were a poet, I would use these events to inspire me to write beautiful lines in homage to the wonderful displays of human sporting ability.  But I'm not, so I won't.

Indeed, I'm not much of a poetry reader either.  Not for want of trying.  I'm just a tad impatient and possibly slow on the uptake.  It takes me longer than necessary to get the point.   So the enjoyment is minimal and I avoid the effort.  I always wanted to be able to quote poetry to others, to share my delight.  And woo lovers.  I've never succeeded. Except maybe for my A-level.  But that was a whole different deal...

So in my delight at AM's success - and let's face it, not only his - I'm at a loss for classy words.  I can only borrow words from others.  And most inadequately, as I'm sure there are more appropriate ones.  But I borrow from one of the greats, and therefore I can only be apologetic to a degree.

Kipling, in his fabulous poem If noted the following:

If you can keep your head when all about you
  Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you, ...
If you can dream and not make dreams your master...
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
  To serve your turn long after they are gone...
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And - which is more -  you'll be a man, my son!

Rousing stuff, eh?  Don't you just want to get out there and run a marathon?  Take on Usain Bolt?  Andy Murray? In my dreams, of course.  But only the good dreams...


No comments:

Post a Comment